I once read a post by a expat blogger in South Africa, Story of Bing, that made smile a little as she said something that I guess a lot of bloggers would not say openly. When she asked herself why she blogged one of her answers were “The 2nd reason is because I want to show off lah! There. I’ve admitted it.”. I have to admit, that even though this was never my initial motivation for blogging that some of recognition received through views, comments and likes has become a tad addictive.
I know I’m no writer or photographer or graphic artist (as my little creations on this blog prove), however I know I love talking, sharing stories, making people laugh which is one of the reasons that I’ve sustained for so long already. However blogging is and will always be a hobby, something to keep me entertained.
As this is a hobby, it makes it even nicer when people recognise your blog. This year has been especially sweet in this sense as the last six months have been some the best in terms of views. So for everyone who has stopped by for a visit, liked a post or commented, Thank you very much! It awesome to see more people enjoying this blog every month!
And then there are awards and nominations… Well last month 2Summers nominated me for quite a cool photography competition which considering my amatuerness in the skill left me somewhere between extatic and in dillirium! (Thanks again 2Sumeers!)
After that nomination I then received two nomination for the “One Lovely Blog Award” by Chi Khong Photography blog and Autumn in Bruges. To both of you, my deepest gratitude for liking the blog enough to consider me nominating me! This award has unknown origins and the rules seem to change as it passes on from one blogger to another, therefore I’ll use the rules that my nominators used:
- Thank the Bloggers… Ahem! Read above please!
- Tell readers seven things about yourself!
- Nominate 15 other bloggers for the award!
So, seven things about me?
- I’m Portuguese or South African or Citizen of the World depending on the mood you find me in.
- I’ve travelled to 28 countries and want to make sure that I have visited a country for every year lived for the rest of my life.
- I’m engaged (soon to be married) to the most amazing girl in the world.
- I love Turkish Delight, Percy Pigs and Haribo Starmix.
- Istanbul is by far my favourite city in the world.
- I’m good at doing accents… which has gotten me into a bit of trouble when I’m slightly tipsy.
- I hate how men these days are metrosexual and find it normal to use straightening irons.
Well in terms of nominees, I think I prefer simply sharing some great blogs I follow avidly and which keep me entertained and hope you find them as entertaining as I do:
- Khadijateri: One of the first blogs I started following on an American married to a Libyan and her life in Libya.
- Stare if you must: A great blog and fascinating story of an American foster family and their stories of adoption and fostering
- Roy Marvelous: I love this blog as it isn’t your average travel blog. The author doesn’t put up picture, but uses illustrations drawn in Paint for his stories
- Mike and Jess in Malta: Great blog about the adventures of a young couple in Malta
- 2Summers: Great blog, stories and photos of an American expat living and experiencing Johannesburg and beyond.
- Joburg Expat: Great blog from another expat in South Africa with useful tips about South Africa
- From here to there: Great blog from an Canadian expat and her husband’s adventures in Gabon and now Norway.
- A home away from home: An American expat and her adventures in South Africa!
- Story of Bing: Another good blog from Singaporean expat in South Africa. Like 2Summers, great photos on this one!
- Uncornered Market: An excellent travel blog which has great photos and heartwarming travel stories
- The Unwitting Traveler: A great blog about a Exploration Geologist and his travels around the world.